'thumb|link=Archivo:HabitRPG-Community-Guidelines-PublicSpaces.png'Gamification is when 'game thinking' and game mechanics are used to make something which isn't a game more fun. In Habitica's case, the game mechanics are inspired mainly by role playing games.
Wikipedia's article on gamification has more information on the general concept. According to the article, gamification leverages several of people's natural desires, which are addressed in Habitica in the following ways:
- Socializing: To engage players and make them feel part of a larger community through the use of parties, guilds, Tavern, and private messaging
- Learning: To teach the player concepts through completing tasks
- Competition: To allow players to battle bosses by doing quests, and compete with each other in challenges
- Status: To have a visual display of player's accomplishments on the user's profile
- Self-expression: To show the player's creativity and personality through avatar customization, backgrounds, and costumes
- Altruism: To contribute or give back to the community through donating, subscribing, or contributing
- Closure: To reach a finishing point and then restart using options such as Orb of Rebirth or Key to the Kennels
Gamifying Your Lists has examples that can help you further gamify Habitica by renaming your tasks to make them more heroic and fun!